Monday, February 9, 2009

Negatives

Landis has been figuring out the meaning of words like "no" and "don't" and "not" recently. He practices as often as he can. I asked him today to "Come over here to Monni."

"Okay. *points to self* Is not Monni. This Landis. That *points to me* not Landi. That Monni."

He does this at the zoo too. I say, "Look at that giraffe, Landis!"

And he says, "That is not rhinoceros. That is giraffe."

He's also obsessed with the word "only", though he hasn't quite grasped the meaning. We were grocery shopping a few days ago and passed a cart which contained a bag of dog food. He asked what it was, and I explained it was food for dogs, and not for little boys.

"Oh! Only dogs eat it. Only Landi doesn't eat it." While dog food is only good for dogs, not eating dog food is a pretty common trait for those of us over the age of 3 or 4. I explained that Monni and Daddy don't eat dog food, and, in fact, most people don't eat it either. We'll see when he figures "only" out.

It is so much fun having a talking little boy, and I am loving every minute of it!

No comments: